[illumos-Advocates] Fwd: [RTI] 243 system manual pages should live with the software

Richard Lowe richlowe at richlowe.net
Sat Mar 12 23:23:42 PST 2011

Sigh, forgot to reply-all.
-- Rich

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Richard Lowe <richlowe at richlowe.net>
Date: Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 03:12
Subject: Re: [illumos-Advocates] [RTI] 243 system manual pages should
live with the software
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett at damore.org>

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 01:28, Garrett D'Amore <garrett at damore.org> wrote:
> I have one extra cautionary question to ask here: where did you get the
> man pages, and what have you done to ensure we don't accidentally
> release something to which we don't have redistribution rights?

all exept beadm:
  http://dlc.sun.com/osol/man/downloads/current

beadm:
  the slim_install gate's history, roff'd by me.

That means they're not as up-to-date as they possibly could be, but
that they are as safe as they possibly could be.

Pulling in from newer possibly sources is still possible, as the
script to reflow to 80 column should be repeatable, so a merge could
likely happen (it wouldn't be fun though.)  The most likely newer
source of manual pages would be the build 134 package, however, many
of the differences between the tarball and b134 are actually
erroneous, my attempts to dig through them sucked.  I still have the
branch (not published), but I don't think the gains would be that big.
 Mostly, the gain is the one real page in (new) section 3REPARSE.

-- Rich