[illumos-Advocates] changing the procedure for nominating "advocates"

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Wed Mar 30 22:07:07 PDT 2011

  We have a problem.  Or at least the *appearance* of a problem.

The current list of "advocates" for illumos is 75% Nexenta employees.
Of course, that probably is proportional to the number of integrations
made by Nexenta employees.

But it does make the list of advocates seem less ... fair, especially
since new advocates are confirmed by the existing advocates.

So I want to change this process.

Developer-council is a much more diverse organization, and is not one
that Nexenta has a majority representation in.  Current DC members:

Adam Leventhal
Bryan Cantrill
Jim Carlson
Richard Lowe
Garrett D'Amore

The current list of advocates is:

Garrett D'Amore
Albert Lee
Richard Lowe
Gordon Ross

I'd like therefore to make the selection of advocates (which will
include both selecting new advocates, *and* firing any old ones if that
is ever appropriate) a matter handled by developer-council.

I *hope* that DC will continue the wisdom of ensuring that advocates are
selected that will perform an unbiased integration review with a keen
eye towards thoroughness.  Advocates also need to understand the special
restrictions for ZFS integrations (ZFS Working Group needs to approve
such integrations in code review).  I think merit should be given to
advocates that demonstrate actual contributions (particularly
post-Oracle contributions) -- we had been assuming that this was a
measure by which we would nominate new advocates, and I hope to see
advocates representing Delphix and Joyent and other parties in the mix
soon.  Either way, I think it makes sense to hand over the power to
manage the list of advocates to the Developer Council.

Note that I don't expect any immediate changes to the list of advocates
as a result of this change, although the privilege to make such changes
will fall upon developer council.

I hope also that DC will be willing to entertain the recommendations of
the project-at-large when selecting new advocates, including accepting
nominations presented by the tech lead or existing advocates.

Anyway, I'm using my special Grand Poobah +18 powers to make this
change, unless someone raises some significant concerns about this.
(This change will also facilitate clearing up our "governance" to the
larger conservancy once we join.)

Thanks!

     - Garrett