[illumos-Advocates] RTI: RFE #937 - WRITE_SAME support for COMSTAR

Dan McDonald danmcd at nexenta.com
Fri May 20 12:19:34 PDT 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 03:12:58PM -0400, Gordon Ross wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> What testing is appropriate for this?
> and what has been done?

In-house, I've done write-same testing on the NCP3 version of this change.  I
used VMware to iSCSI-initiate to an NS box running these changes.  I wiped
9GB of disk clean using write-same with multiple parameters and even one
implementation difference.  I was told the beta (not yet released) VMware we
have in-house is the only one that speaks write-same.  OTOH, Google searching
indicates release VMware ESX4.2 does it.  I found it hard to get even basic
tests done.

If you want some Illumos-specific testing or further tests on the NCP3
version, please let me know.  Off the top of my head, I can see maybe:

	- Finding more VMware instances to do parallel testing (though
          multiple VMwares sharing the same LU... is that done in the real
          world?  COMSTAR already separates LUs rather well).

	- Something I haven't yet imagined.

Hope this helps, and I appreciate any further suggestions,
Dan