[illumos-Developer] Illumos ARC 2010/001 BSD man page support for Illumos

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Thu Aug 5 14:01:19 PDT 2010

This is our first architecture review case...

Illumos is going to adopt code from *BSD and we of course don't just need
code but also documentation.

The FreeBSD guys unfortunately did throw away the UNIX man macros in 1992
while they have been sued by AT&T and replaced the man macros by "doc" macros.

As there are currently only groff macros to support the "doc" macro system,
many people believe that GNU troff under a restrictive license is needed to
support BSD man pages.

There are however doc macros that work with the standard troff implementaion.
I fetched the most recent standard troff macro implementation for

	troff -mandoc

and added some bug-fixes such as Y2k fixes and others that are needed today.

I I hereby propose to add the following files:

/usr/lib/tmac/doc
/usr/lib/tmac/mandoc

and to change the man(1) command to call "nroff -mandoc" instead of
"nroff -man".

Jörg