[illumos-Developer] Illumos ARC 2010/001 BSD man page support for Illumos

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Thu Aug 5 14:38:03 PDT 2010

"Garrett D'Amore" <garrett at nexenta.com> wrote:

> > and to change the man(1) command to call "nroff -mandoc" instead of
> > "nroff -man".
>
> I must say I'm of a mixed mind.  While I don't mind seeing fixes to
> bugs, I worry that if we create documentation in a format that is not
> acceptable to the upstream it will create undue barriers to upstream
> integration.
>
> In fact, ON currently lacks *any* manual pages, and this is probably the
> case for a level 0 type question (in ARC parlance) -- that is what are
> we going to do about manual pages?  I have some thoughts here, but the
> challenge of balancing the need for updated docs against unnecessary
> divergence from upstream needs to be balanced.

It depends on how you take things, there is a tarball with man pages,
but these man pages are unacceptable for us:

-	They have been created with software we don't own

-	They are in a reeally bad state and it takes aprox one hour per
	man page to convert it manually into a standard format that
	can be edited.

Upstream handles man page in a different way than we and I don't see
any collision. The man page extension just gives us more freedom
to view man pages from other upstream entities.

Jörg