[illumos-Developer] Closed-bin accords of the OpenSolaris conference... / was: Re: illumos_145 i386 build status

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Aug 9 06:31:57 PDT 2010

"Garrett D'Amore" <garrett at damore.org> wrote:

> For the record:
>
> There are currently three appointees to the admin-council:
>
> 	Simon Phipps
> 	Anil Gulecha
> 	Andre Van Eyssen
>
> With me that makes four.  I want the existing 4 to select 3 more.  The

An even number is a problematic decision. It makes standoff situations
very probable. This is why committees usually have an odd number of members
and need an odd number of members for a quorum.

Did you ever think about asking the current OGB?
The OGB has the advantage of being an already elected committee.

> admin council has yet to meet, but it does not have any governance over
> purely technical matters.  (Going forward, I would like my position as
> chair of that committee to be one that doesn't actually have a vote
> except as a tie breaker.  We're not ready for that yet, but hopefully we
> will get there soon.  And at that time it may be that the council can
> select a different chair.)
>
> The developer council is still being formed.  I've nominated Jim
> Carlson, although he's not yet pushed anything to the code.  (This comes
> from his background at Sun previously, actually.)  I've nominated Bryan
> Cantrill but I'm not sure if I've gotten verification that he'll stand.
> I have one or two other parties in mind, but mostly I'm waiting to see
> who actually gets things done.  I'll probably *avoid* naming parties to
> the developer council initially who do not have a strong track record of
> consensus building.  (Put another way: I'm looking for people who are

If you are looking for people to contribute code, you need to give them a
chance to do so. From my current information you are currently the only person
to do this.

Jörg