[illumos-Developer] Joerg, please be patient and fair (was: Re: Closed-bin accords of the OpenSolaris conference... / was: Re: illumos_145 i386 build status)

I. Szczesniak iszczesniak at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 10:36:48 PDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Joerg Schilling
<Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> "Garrett D'Amore" <garrett at nexenta.com> wrote:
>
>> > Did you ever think about asking the current OGB?
>> > The OGB has the advantage of being an already elected committee.
>>
>> Yes, I considered that.  And rejected it.  The OGB is a 100% ineffectual
>> committee.  I do not believe the problems with Oracle are wholly to
>> blame here.  I have no desire to repeat the particular governance
>> mistakes of OpenSolaris.  Again, the idea here is that the board is a
>> meritocracy, not a popularity contest.
>
> I am a member of the current OGB and for this reason, I know that the OGB is
> definitely not ineffectual but just suffers from Oracle's blocking strategy.
>
>> > If you are looking for people to contribute code, you need to give them a
>> > chance to do so. From my current information you are currently the only person
>> > to do this.
>>
>> Actually I'm not.  But I'm not going to leave the gate wide open either.
>
> Well, I don't know of any code that was added by someone else.
> If there is such code, I would be interested to know.
>
>> So far I don't think I've received any code that is 100% ready to
>> integrate yet from anyone else, except for some stuff that seems to be
>> somewhat contentious (and is therefore not ready to integrate.)
>>
>> I'm trying to give preference right now to the critical code bits that
>> help us eliminate critical closed deps.  So I need most urgently sed and
>> tr.  (Especially tr.)
>>
>> If Roland can get his ksh93 derived tr ready in a workspace (without any
>> other changes except adding tr), then I'll probably integrate that this
>> week.
>
> I hope you remember that I reported a bug against ast-tr. I hope you understand
> that we cannot replace tr by a program that does not currectly support something
> obvious like:
>
>        tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]'
>
> Roland knows about the problem, but we don't have any comment from him on this
> bug.

Joerg, I send this already privately to you but you did not respond.
Roland Mainz and Olga Kryzhonovska have a new baby and did announce
this to this forum.
They are both unlikely to respond or defend their work in time.
Comments like '... I send them an email and got no response, lets move
my way...' are in the opinion of many people here NOT fair play in
such a situation and only put undue pressure on people who are already
busy with a major change in their life.

Irek

PS: Please read http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutterschutz