[illumos-Developer] Need testcases for "sed" bug... / was: Re: Need short help with testing { sed, tr, pax } replacement binaries on i386 ...

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Tue Aug 10 02:23:29 PDT 2010

Roland Mainz <roland.mainz at nrubsig.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Joerg Schilling
> <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> > Roland Mainz <roland.mainz at nrubsig.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I've uploaded a first _test_ version of the { /usr/bin/sed,
> >> /usr/xpg4/bin/sed, /usr/bin/tr and /usr/bin pax } replacement binaries
> >> for i386 to http://www.nrubsig.org/people/gisburn/work/solaris/illumos/posixcore20100701_i386_001.tar.bz2
> >
> > ast-sed has the same bug as the FreeBSD did have last year: incorrect backslash
> >        handling. We cannot replace programs in a way that cause existing scripts
> >        to fail.
>
> Grumpf...
> ... erm... Joerg... this is the 3rd try and email in three days I'm
> sending to you with the request to get a testcase:
> We need one or more testcases to "see" this bug and fix it, please. We
> can't fix what we can't "see".

I posted the test case to the mailing list on July 29th. Olga did even reply to
the mail where I mentioned the test case. As she quoted the test case in the
mail she send on July 30th, it is obvious that you know about the case. You had
a chance to silently fix the problem before presenting a test binary last friday.

Let me repeat it for you:

sed 'y%ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ, /\\()"%abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz,------%'

sed: warning: redundant map: y%ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ, /\\()"%abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz,------%
sed: string lengths differ: y%ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ, /\\()"%abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz,------%

Both messages are of course wrong.

and btw: this is the first time you ask....

Jörg