[illumos-Developer] BSD iconv (was Closed-bin accords of the OpenSolaris conference... )

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Tue Aug 10 09:49:19 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 09:18 -0700, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> Hello guys;
>
> I caught your interesting thread about getting a freely license version of iconv into OpenSolaris so I thought I'd mention:
>
> As part as FreeBSD's GSoC 2009, Gabor Kovesdan polished a new implementation of iconv under a BSD license:
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/G%C3%A1borSoC2009
>
> There's also a Perforce repository here:
> http://p4db.freebsd.org/depotTreeBrowser.cgi?FSPC=//depot/projects/soc2009/gabor%5ficonv&HIDEDEL=NO
>
> From my understanding the code is ready to be committed to FreeBSD's base. But you can keep in touch with Gabor (CC'd) for the details.
>
> While here, let me suggest Coverity scans and Google SoC as some great resources that the Illumos project should have in it's toolbox.
>
> best regards,
>
> Pedro.

This is great news.  I would have *preferred* to pick up a FreeBSD
implementation, but it looked like FreeBSD's version had staganted to
the point of being replaced with GNU iconv.  Which is not acceptable to
me for a variety of reasons.

If we can use a FreeBSD implementation, it will help a *lot*.

Joerg, would you be willing to take a look at this?  If the code looks
basically usable and free of major bugs, and like it might be
maintainable (or someone in this group wants to step up to help with
maintenance), then I'd say this is a way forward.

I'm not a big fan of the pluggable shared library that Solaris has for
this stuff.