[illumos-Developer] HEADS UP: Illumos no longer depends upon the 'extras' pkg repository

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Sun Aug 15 13:04:30 PDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 21:53 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> "Garrett D'Amore" <garrett at damore.org> wrote:
>
> > Thank you very much Richard.  This is also the first commit to the
> > illumos gate by someone else, and its a significant one because it
> > eliminates one of the significant bindings we had to things we don't
> > have source for.
> >
> > Btw, if someone wanted to take on a project to make the installer bits
> > work with ISC instead of Sun dhcp, they'd get a +1 from me. :-)
>
> everything I needed so far with a DHCP server was easy to add to the ISC DHCP
> server config. I hever have been able to get the Sun DHCP server to work
> correctly.

I'm fairly sure that the ISC server can do whatever we need it to... its
mostly a question of making the tools that configure the server do the
right thing.  (In fact, I do recall that the Sun Ray code was modified
to work with ISC...)

At one point I think the Sun server offered some improvements in
scalability and manageability.  I'm not sure those are true any longer.