[illumos-Developer] Something for later but interesting IMHO

Martin Bochnig martin at martux.org
Tue Aug 17 08:31:54 PDT 2010

2010/8/17 Martin Bochnig <martin at martux.org>:

>>> This is something you need to do in your BIOS, did you?
>>>
>>> Jörg
>>>

>> No, as I said previously, it is turned on in BIOS, this is why I had
>> problems with upgrading to build 130.
>

>  >  -B intel-iommu=no
>

> Hi.
>

> I have 2 x64 Laptops as my power-saving 24x7 Desktop systems with USB
> storage. One is Intel DC 2GHz, the other is AMD Athlon64 DC 2GHz. From
> this background I can tell you 2 things:
>
> * I use 32bit and 64 bit guests in Vbox all the time, with VT-x
> enabled and it works
> (so, alternatively this would also allow me to use Xen aka Sun xVM
> with generic guest kernels)
>
> * back at circa builds 107 till about 111 or 113 I had exactly the
> same problems on the AMD side: Without   -B intel-iommu=no (and there
> are similar options) the kernel would immediately panic (in some
> cases) or freeze (with different combinations of kernel boot options
> being present vs. absent).

Oh, right. I should have added, that the AMD-counterpart´s name for
this specific kernel boot flag was different. I think it was  -B
amd-iommu=no .

But be aware, that there is a set of related options. Maybe you can
play around until you find another one which *might* *maybe*

* still enable you to boot the OpenSolaris host

* yet would no longer disable VT-x by doing so.

Changes are low, but might exist.

%martin