[illumos-Developer] issue compiling when using wiki procedure

Chad Cantwell chad at iomail.org
Sun Aug 22 17:29:45 PDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 08:24:50AM +1000, James C. McPherson wrote:
> On 23/08/10 06:45 AM, Chad Cantwell wrote:
> >There are some possible problems compiling when using the wiki procedure at
> >
> >http://www.illumos.org/projects/illumos-gate/wiki/How_To_Build_Illumos
> >
> >I originally built illumos-gate on a box I was formerly compiling onnv
> >on, and it was either in onnv_146 or onnv_147 when I compiled it, and
> >the compilation completed.  I noticed there was a new wiki process
> >using a special 145 repository that looked like a quicker way to bring
> >a 134 machine up to date than the process I had been using, so I thought
> >I'd try it.
> >
> >I followed the wiki process on a new 134 install, with the exception that
> >I didn't install the package form of the 12u1 compiler because I had
> >the tar file locally, but I installed it via tar to the same location (I
> >don't believe this is relevant).  Also my work environment is not /code
> >but /work/compiling, but the rest should be the same.
> >
> >I got these errors during the build process in the wiki environment that
> >I didn't get in the build environment I was using myself before.  I would
> >assume the first one has something to do with the closed source snmp being
> >removed, and I'm not sure about the second error.  Both errors I bypassed
> >by touch'ing the file the packager was expecting to see and then illumos
> >finished building.  Perhaps while building under the previous environment
> >my build tools had more closed bits left over from onnv so these errors
> >didn't come up?  I don't believe there were any major commits to illumos-gate
> >between when I first compiled it on my old installation and when I recomipiled
> >it using the wiki procedure from the custom 145 repository.
>
> Both of those errors are due to not having the requisite closedbins
> installed in your proto area.
>

> James
> --
> Solaris kernel software engineer, system admin and troubleshooter
>               http://www.jmcp.homeunix.com/blog
> Find me on LinkedIn @ http://www.linkedin.com/in/jamescmcpherson

That seems to be it.  I had copied my illumos-gate tree from another machine,
and either the closed bins didn't copy correctly or I had an older version
extracted and hadn't yet extracted the newest download.  I extracted the
last closed bin version I downloaded and those missing files showed up.

Thanks,
Chad