[illumos-Developer] trouble getting SUNWspro

Mads Toftum mads at toftum.dk
Wed Aug 25 23:31:15 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 11:18:43PM -0700, Gary Driggs wrote:
> It's been ages since I've touched Sun Studio. Can someone please refresh my memory as to why it's any better than gcc, llvm, et al? Since it doesn't even ship with OpenSolaris why is it even a concern? Back in the Solaris 2.3 through 7 days I remember the Sun freeware gcc pkg among one of the first packages we put in the post install script on our jumpstart server.

Being the only compiler able to build the current source is a nice feature.
Also there's quite a few examples of it creating binaries that perform
better.
The old history of always plonking gcc on a box most likely was a
function of sun studio being expensive payware at the time.

vh

Mads Toftum
--
http://soulfood.dk