[illumos-Developer] more & less

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Sun Dec 5 15:47:44 PST 2010

On Sun, 2010-12-05 at 12:22 -1000, Samuel Younge wrote:

> The only bizarre 'more' dependency in illumos that I am aware of is
> that 'less' does not work by default after transitioning to single
> user mode.
> This is strange as both 'more' and 'less' exist in the /usr/bin PATH.
> I am not sure what that is about, I have not taking the time to
> investigate, but illumos does need a functional pager for single user
> mode.
> That is a minor issue though, I suspect.

That's a strange one.  less shouldn't have any external dependencies, so
I don't know why it wouldn't work in single user mode.  Can you describe
what actually happens when you try to use it.

I'd guess that resolving any problem here would be a requirement for
making less a replacement for either /bin/more or xpg4/bin/more.