[illumos-Developer] Building illumos-gate on Solaris 11 Express B151 ?

Aram Hăvărneanu aram.h at mgk.ro
Mon Dec 6 03:24:40 PST 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Roland Mainz <roland.mainz at nrubsig.org> wrote:
> Has anyone tried whether illumos-gate can be build on Solaris 11
> Express build 151 ?

It can be built, however it cannot be installed. The reason is that
SX11 uses packages with version strings like 0.5.11-0.151.0.1 while
illumos uses packages with versions like 0.5.11-0.148. Because pkg()
thinks our packages are older it can't satisfy the incorporation
constraints. A trivial fix would be to bump our version number, but
that just delays the problem and does not fix it.

We should find a way to change version strings in such a way that
illumos' on can install on all potential distributions (including
Solaris). One potential solution Albert Lee mentioned would be to bump
the version number like this 0.5.11-1.148. This way, we will be higher
then Oracle's version numbers regardless of the build they are working
on. I think this is a fragile solution, nobody stops Oracle or any
other potential forks to bump that number again. We need a more
permanent solution. I think Garrett suggested we bump that number to
99, like 0.5.11-99.148 for development. In this scenario, illumos
consumers, for example distributions like openindiana need to change
that number back to some sensible number. That way developers can
install and test illumos on any distribution, irrespective of that
distributions' package version numbers, and distributions themselves
would get sane version strings.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu