[illumos-Developer] HEADS UP: open source iprb

Mike Riley lvskiprof at cox.net
Mon Dec 6 10:33:17 PST 2010

On 12/04/10 17:51, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> Yesterday I integrated
>
> 435 Need an open iprb(7d)
>
> This means that the closed iprb is no longer used, and instead a fully
> open replacement is used instead.  There should not be any noticeable
> difference behavior, but if there are any bugs, please don't hesitate to
> let me know or file a bug in redmine.

Hi Garrett,

I just remembered an old bug we fixed in iprb that you undoubtedly could not have made the fix
for.  Check out Solaris bug 4727020.

http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4727020

Current iprb devices would not be a problem.  We only had the issue with Rev 12 versions of a
particular type.  It took Intel about 6 months to figure it out and provide a firmware fix that
the Solaris driver uploads the fix when it sees this revision of device.

Now this issue never showed up on any OS other than Solaris, and Intel wrote most of the code
(if not the entire driver) for every OS including Solaris, so it was surprising that it only
showed up on Solaris.  Something different about how we service events in the driver, I guess.

It might be worth noting that Rev 12 cards might experience a problem with your driver so people
know to replace them with another revision if they experience the issues reported in the bug.
It isn't clear that your version will have the problem, but if it does you won't have the code
fix from Intel that is in the Solaris iprb driver.

Mike