[illumos-Developer] BEADM [WEBREV] 418 replace beadm by tbeadm with gettext support

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 17:34:03 PST 2010

I wrote:
>> It's preferable to avoid changing the strings passed to
>> gettext where possible, to reduce costs of updating the
>> localized (translated) message files.
>>
>> I suggest you save a copy of the original messages.po
>> file (you have to comment out a $(RM) in $SRC/Makefile.msg.targ
>> to save that.  Then do make _msg with your new stuff and
>> try to minimize changes in that file.
>
> Im not agree with you, if so, it is better to revert all to version with
> message table.
> Almost all python strings are not compatible with C, because python use
> different
> formatin style.

OK, so the translation files can not be used directly due to
the different format codes (Python "%(0)s" vs C "%$1s" etc.)
Nonetheless, I do suggesting trying to reduce the work of
translators as much as possible.

There may also be some lint bugs with the split-up printf calls,
i.e. beadm.c:659 in your latest has an extra arg.
Does it pass lint?

I think you're getting close :)

Thanks,
Gordon