[illumos-Developer] more & less

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Fri Dec 17 05:40:04 PST 2010

Ben Taylor <bentaylor.solx86 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I remember having a discussion with Jürgen Keil  a couple of years back
> on this exact issue, as I had put less into my mini-root when I was
> debugging some problematic Solaris 10 installs.
>
> Jürgen said the issue was that stderr was not correctly set for single user
> mode, and required to exec the shell with appropriate redirection.  I'll see
> if I can find it in my archives.

I remember that previosu Solaris releases did not correctly set up the tty,
resulting in blocked tty-signals.

The main difference between more and less is that more works without TERM to be
set but less does not. This is because less uses the tty in an agressive way
while more is very conservative about what features to use.

Jörg