[illumos-Developer] sed -i behavior - question

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Tue Dec 21 01:18:45 PST 2010

Garrett D'Amore writes:
> On 12/20/10 06:38 PM, Samuel Younge wrote:
> > I believe cross platform compatibility is important. Since sed often ties
> > into the operation of many shell scripts and shell scripts are common to
> > most third party applications, I think following the GNU syntax would ease
> > porting from Linux targets which are ubiquitous .
>

> My first inclination is to agree... however this particular syntax is
> horribly ugly and violates other long-established syntax rules.
> Therefore, I'd like to have more concrete supporting evidence before I
> undertake the change.  Conversely, if such a change will create problems
> for POSIX compliance or other hardship, then I'd like to know (I don't
> think it will.)

While I also like cross-platform compatibility, and believe that
one should not needlessly deviate from compatibility, I would
prefer a cleaner implementation here.  After all, Illumos is
the equivalent of "core Solaris".  If a distro really needs the
Gnu-like behavior, it can always use Gnu sed in the first place.

As a POSU (plain old sed user), I don't really care -- I will just
specify the correct arguments on the cmd line anyway. :-)

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim                     Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J. H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt