[illumos-Developer] sed -i behavior - question

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Tue Dec 21 12:17:45 PST 2010

Erik Trimble <erik.trimble at oracle.com> wrote:

> I'm all for as much GNU-compatibility as we can get, but not at the
> price of POSIX compliance.  That is, if someone so very much needs GNU
> sed, well, they know where that is.

BTW: the GNUsed man page claims that there may be no space between -i and the
arg. So in theory this would be compatible to POSIX as long as it does not
permit "-i" "arg" also.

> Frankly, as a long-term sed user, I think I've used '-i' maybe a couple
> of times over 20 years.  For software packages that use GNU configure,

I am using my "change" program since 1982 for such a purpose as gsed is a
relatively young program.

Change creates *.bak files by default and seems to be more adequate for a
non-interactive file edit.

Jörg