[illumos-Developer] ON is bloated and a bunch of stuff that doesn't need to be there should be ripped out (was Re: Heads up: perl 5.8.4 removal)

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Tue Nov 9 09:57:01 PST 2010

I tend to agree, but I think there are probably some additional
utilities (e.g. the basic POSIX tools) that really do belong in ON.

What I'd like to see eventually is a situation where someone could build
a "mini-distribution" of *just* illumos.  This would contain the
libraries and utilities that would get you to a reasonably functional
shell environment.

>From that you could add compilers and additional interpreters to build
more functional "real" distributions.

	- Garrett