[illumos-Developer] "od" i386 binary for benchmark

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Wed Nov 10 10:50:53 PST 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 18:16 +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> "Garrett D'Amore" <garrett at damore.org> wrote:
>

> As everybody could see, I like to help Olga and I did send a useful list to
> Olga. Olga just needs to compare the output from my od with the output from
> the AT&T od to get _very_ detailed information on all mentioned UTF-8 related
> problems. As you made it very clear that you are not interested in help, I
> did give up trying to help you and as a result did not write down problems
> with your implementaion. From my belly feeling, I would however guess that I
> did see more than 10 problems while testing your current od implementation.

Again, this isn't actionable.  I'm certainly not going to support
replacing an existing implementation (mine or anyone else's) program
with a different one without a clear justification.  Such a
justification would necessarily *have* to require a specific list of
problems.

Even to Olga, your advice is (surprise surprise!) "my implementation is
better, and you should just use it".  Both Olga and I came to the table
with implementations before you did, but rather than provide the advice
to Olga up front, you waited long enough so you could offer up a "Joerg
Schilling" version of the program that could be a (in theory) ready
alternative.

How childish to have a turf war over something so small as "od".

Ultimately, Joerg, I wish you would just go start your own
sandbox^Wdistribution and leave the rest of us who are interested in
collaborating like adults alone.