[illumos-Developer] webrev: 278 get rid zfs of python and pyzfs dependencies

Erik Trimble erik.trimble at oracle.com
Thu Nov 11 14:06:14 PST 2010

On 11/11/2010 1:37 PM, Bryan Cantrill wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Garrett D'Amore<garrett at nexenta.com>  wrote:
>> http://cr.illumos.org/view/jpj55p64/
>>
>> This work was done by another Nexentian.  The goal is to eliminate the
>> use of Python from zfs, which was "split" into having some percentage of
>> its code written in Python and the rest in C.  (Fixing this is a step
>> along the road towards making python installation "optional" at Runtime.
>> The other dependencies are beadm and IPS.  We're working on both of
>> those as well, and not all distros will use IPS anyway.)
>>
>> Please provide feedback.  The timer on this expires in one week.
> +UINT64_MAX.
>
>          - Bryan

Personally, as an admin, I prefer to see a related suite of tools all
use the same language support, rather than have it scattered across
several. For two major reasons:  (1) if I have to look at the code, it's
simpler to re-learn 1 language than 2  (let's face it, as an admin, it
takes a day or two for me to get back in the groove for reading esoteric
code in a language I haven't used in a year or more)  and (2) it makes
dependencies simpler -   that is, if I need ABC suite of utils, I would
like to know that I really don't need 15 different other tools to
support it.  Now, I know modern packaging systems help with this, but
it's still annoying to have to update lots and lots of stuff every time
some one thing changes.

So, in this case, I think it's a Good Thing that we move the ZFS tools
to all C implementation, and dump python.

I'm less enthusiastic about removing python from beadm, where (to me)
using Python as the language for all that beadm does seems, well, a
better idea than C.  But, that's entirely up to whomever wants to tackle
the project.

I'm just for picking 1 language, and using that one.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support