[illumos-Developer] ON is bloated and a bunch of stuff that doesn't need to be there should be ripped out (was Re: Heads up: perl 5.8.4 removal)

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 05:43:19 PST 2010

--- On Thu, 11/11/10, Erik Trimble <erik.trimble at oracle.com> wrote:
> On 11/11/2010 10:56 AM, Peter Tribble
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Garrett D'Amore<garrett at nexenta.com> wrote:
> looking.  One thing that I do
> support for legacy SunOS 4.1 a.out
> now, and I think the need to
> since passed.
> binary compatibility as a
> that way. Most of it simply
> company that made it was still in
> software has lifetimes
> this (often unknowingly).
> >> Right, but can't these be run in an S10C zone or
> in a VM?
> > How does that help? We are talking sparc only here, so
> the VM options
> > are limited. (And one thing you need is to be able to
> run old software on
> > current hardware, so you might not have much choice on
> the OS
> > version.)
> >
> > As for an S10C zone, does that actually take the code
> away, or just move it?
> >

> Peter's right - if we're abandoning it, we're abandoning
> it. There's no looking back.
>
> That said, Oracle doesn't appear to be abandoning SunOS 4
> compatibility.  So, if someone is completely desperate
> to keep running that old app, and won't migrate, well, they
> at least have an option.  And, frankly, it's a great
> way to put a price tag on the cost that keeping
> compatibility for *your* ancient app places on developers.

The illumos-modified ON kernel does not need to meet any of those requirements (i.e. SunOS 4.x compat, Perl 5.8 inclusion, future SPARC support, etc.).

Remember, the fork process allows Illumos developers to work on ON kernel variant(s) at their own peril or benefit. That is the joy of kernel hacking.

If the community wants certain 'legacy-related' requirements, we have Oracle Solaris 10/11 for now...

~ Ken Mays