[illumos-Developer] Moving /usr/sbin/ping out of pkg:/network/ftp

Mike Riley lvskiprof at cox.net
Fri Nov 12 16:06:59 PST 2010

On 11/12/10 15:51, Aram Hăvărneanu wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 1:39 AM, Samuel Younge<samuel.younge at 31415.org>  wrote:
>> It think having a separate package for every tcp/ip tool is a bit of an overkill and inconvenient to install.
>
> Packages are cheap, also, ping, traceroute and ftp are likely to be
> installed on a distribution by default for most people. This change
> would allow certain distributors to create `minimized' distributions.

Actually that was a common complaint about Solaris packages, that individual
applications/utilities could *not* be broken out.  The ftp or sendmail were common complaints
that I seem to recall, as they were considered security risks to have installed on some systems.

Breaking them out into individual packages is indeed a pain, but makes patching and installing
exactly what the end user wants easier.  Grouping the packages in some sort of super package
would make a default install still easy to do, but that is a distribution issue.

Mike