[illumos-Developer] webrev: 278 get rid zfs of python and pyzfs dependencies

Edward Tomasz Napierała trasz at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 13 09:38:37 PST 2010

Wiadomość napisana przez Jason King w dniu 2010-11-12, o godz. 16:09:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 9:04 AM, Edho P Arief <edhoprima at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Jason King <jason.abrian.king at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> That is not what this is about.   There is no issue with maintaining
>>> python bindings for zfs.  The issue is the actual /sbin/zfs command
>>> itself requires python to operate fully.  In other words, you cannot
>>> administer zfs completely without python.  This is about removing that
>>> dependency.
>>>

>> I'm quite sure that the entire zfs stack in FreeBSD doesn't require
>> python at all...
>
> A number of subcommands invoke python to process them (IIRC zfs allow
> is one of them).  FreeBSD must not be using those.  Regardless, this
> is not about removing zfs bindings for python, but the dependency of
> /sbin/zfs on python.

In FreeBSD, the part of functionality that depends on Python was moved
into the Ports Collection.  Which means that "zfs allow" results in:

$ zfs allow
internal error: /usr/lib/zfs/pyzfs.py not found
    install sysutils/py-zfs port to correct this

After installing that package, zfs command becomes fully functional.

--
If you cut off my head, what would I say?  Me and my head, or me and my body?