[illumos-Developer] [oi-dev] oi_148 is pending

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 03:48:39 PST 2010

On 20 Nov 2010, at 05:49, Albert Lee wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've spent a large part of the past two days reworking and documenting
> our release packaging environment and fixing issues with our metadata
> and external packages that are being imported into this release, and I
> feel we have a sustainable environment for release management now.
> I've gotten a tentatively complete set of oi_148 packages created
> with an entire redistributable cluster this time and imported the
> SVR4-based consolidations we don't yet have replacements for, instead
> of including opensolaris.org packages in our incorporations. If this
> went as planned, our users should no longer need an opensolaris.org
> publisher configured.

That's fantastic news! That's quite a big win.

> I've built a full redistributable cluster (as well as a slim_install
> metapackage) instead of the weird mini cluster we had for 147. The
> packages are sitting in /net/infra01/releng/oi/oi_148/repo which still
> needs to be imported into a clone of the 147 repository. Hopefully we
> can get some testing done over the weekend.

Great. Do you forsee any issues with people upgrading from 147 to 148 based on these changes?

> Some additional things I want to do before the release:
> - Make sure I haven't made any typos in the metadata, like last time :)
> - Create a text_install cluster for the Text Installer (its current
> use of an explicit package list is quite embarrassing).

I always wondered why they did it that way.

> - Get QA done against the bugs we have on file
> - Build and test both live media and AI images

If you're able to produce an ISO to test with and a repo to update to, I'm sure quite a few people on the team would be happy to test myself included.

> - Start looking at the logistics for the illumos repository. One
> option is to ship an older build of illumos we have around, but we
> need to integrate the supporting changes for snmpdx and Perl 5.8.4
> removal as soon as possible.

That would be good.

Thanks for the hard work on this! It sounds like 148 is going to address most of the hacks we did for 147 release engineering wise. Hopefully this will all make future releases less painful.

Cheers,

Alasdair