[illumos-Developer] 260 some drivers erroneously discount a major of 0

Richard Lowe richlowe at richlowe.net
Fri Oct 1 10:16:02 PDT 2010

Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> dump(7d) uses major 0 on my system.  I think we just have recognize that
> 0 is a valid major number.

Precisely.

0 is a totally valid major number (and thus also a valid dev_t), but it
was previously very hard to get it given to random devices, so
assumptions that it is invalid have lasted a long time.  Consider the
add_drv change as something to win some time to find and fix others
making this erroneous assumption, rather than the goal here, the fixes
to t_kopen and sv are the goal (and the class of bug we're concerned of
finding elsewhere).

-- Rich