[illumos-Developer] webrev: POSIX style localedef & multibyte encoding support

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon Oct 4 07:40:30 PDT 2010

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> Owen Shepherd wrote:
>> On 3 Oct 2010, at 10:08, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>>
>>> 1) I have added locale data for the English locales that were missing,
>>> and eliminated mklocale and friends.  (I removed US-ASCII without
>>> replacing it.  If you want 7-bit support- use POSIX or C locale.
>>> Otherwise, you really want ISO-8859-1 or -15.)
>>
>> Is the US-ASCII locale likely to be stored in any data files? Should
>> the system perhaps automatically migrate to the POSIX or C locale if
>> it is requested?
>
> A quick grep of my mailbox reveals thousands of:
>
> I've no idea what a mail reader might do if that become an unknown
> locale.

Probably not even notice, since charset & locale are two different
concepts, and I don't think Solaris has ever shipped a US-ASCII
locale, since it doesn't match the locale name scheme - it would
be something like en_US.ASCII to include region, language & charset.

On Solaris, "locale -a" does not list US-ASCII, and both of these
just show fallback to C:
	env LANG="US-ASCII" locale
	env LANG="bob" locale

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com