[illumos-Developer] (no subject)

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Tue Oct 12 03:10:43 PDT 2010

Richard Lowe <richlowe at richlowe.net> wrote:

> James C. McPherson wrote:
> >
> > The reason that perl is inside ON and Illumos is because it's
> > needed in order to build certain low-level userland utilities
> > that are part of that consolidation. prtdiag is one such example.
>
> The reason perl was in ON is that SFW didn't exist when the integration
> was done.  Perl 5.10 is no longer in ON (it's in SFW), and when 5.8.4 is
> EOF, perl in general will not be.
>
> A more general response:
>
> I'd resist any language implementations being added to ON, even _if_ ON
> depend upon them: ON needs to shrink, not grow, and integrating large,
> pre-existing, pieces of software with their own goals well is very
> difficult.

Building ON is based on an inconsistent rulework. ON from 2010 is even worse
than ON from 2005 as ON from 2010 depends on GNOME.

Before changing the current state, we need to find a consistent rulework for
our goals.

I could live with a decision not to include tools, but then there would be a
need for another tool-only cpnsolidation that is kept in sync with ON....

I still cannot live with the current state where the source is not self
contained.

The ON source need to be at least a complete working OS.

The ON source must contain all include files and libraries that are needed to
build ON. This is in conflict with hald integration, there was no such problem
as long as we had vold.....

Jörg