[illumos-Developer] HAL

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Wed Oct 13 08:16:35 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 16:50 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> > Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de wrote:
> > > The main problem seems to be that GNOME did break the layering rules and
> > > introduced functionality that do not belong into a GUI. There is no doubt, that
> > > GIMP belongs in total into a GUI, but in case of OS services like removable
> > > media management, the GUI should be no more than control and display.
> >
> > HAL is a system daemon & library, not a GUI.   GNOME is a consumer of HAL,
> > just as it's a consumer of libc.
>
> If this was true, then there would be no need to link it against GNOME libs.

My understanding is that HAL needs D-BUS, which is a protocol (and also
introduces a glib dependency) that GNOME speaks.  IMO, the problem is
that this D-BUS dependency is what should be "shared" technology and
delivered as part of ON itself, if it is needed.

That's just a rough cut though -- I need to do more analysis before I
commit to anything.  Its not at the very top of my priority list.

	- Garrett