[illumos-Developer] HAL (or maybe Udev?)

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 08:31:06 PDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Garrett D'Amore <garrett at nexenta.com> wrote:
[...]
> My understanding is that HAL needs D-BUS, which is a protocol (and also
> introduces a glib dependency) that GNOME speaks.  IMO, the problem is
> that this D-BUS dependency is what should be "shared" technology and
> delivered as part of ON itself, if it is needed.
>
> That's just a rough cut though -- I need to do more analysis before I
> commit to anything.  Its not at the very top of my priority list.
>
>        - Garrett

If we're considering investing in this area, we should also consider
the alternative of implementing something compatible with the newer
Udev/Udisk/Upower interfaces.  (Google for that for more info:)
BTW, I'd rather not debate HAL vs Udev here.  There's already plenty
of debate on that.
Just a suggestion to whoever decides to put time into this:  please
look at both.

Gordon