[illumos-Developer] HAL

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Thu Oct 14 03:58:41 PDT 2010

Owen Shepherd <owen.shepherd at e43.eu> wrote:

> >> HAL is a system daemon & library, not a GUI.   GNOME is a consumer of HAL,
> >> just as it's a consumer of libc.
> >
> > If this was true, then there would be no need to link it against GNOME libs.
> >
> > Jörg
>
> IIRC, the dependencies are glib and libdbus. glib is kind of associated with GNOME (developed by them, for example), but isn't really a GNOME component (more a general purpose event loop/utility library for C holdouts), and libdbus is the D-Bus library (because HAL is exposed over D-Bus)
>
> Both of these show up as dependencies in other places (And certainly writing HAL against raw libdbus would be painful)

The main problem with hal is that it heavily depends on libraries that are not
part of OpenSolaris and that are not under control of OpenSolaris (so they
depend on non-stable interfaces). Software that depends on third-party
libraries does not belong into ON. On the other side, I expect that
OpenSolaris will not be wose than it has been 17 years ago when we had
removable media management in the OS base.

Jörg