[illumos-Developer] review: nuke staleness from svr4pkg

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Fri Oct 15 03:03:33 PDT 2010

Hi Garrett!

> http://mexico.purplecow.org/gdamore/webrev/presvr4/

I have not looked at this, and I agree with a) through f)
except:

> c) custom hacks for *patches*.  We will never, ever, ever support
> partial package patching on illumos.  In fact, the problems with it are
> the most oft-cited reason by the IPS team for throwing away SVR4 and
> inventing something new.

I am sure you are aware of the fact that this will prevent all
third-party products (including Sun/Oracle products) from being
patched on an Illumos-based distro, ever.

While I am all for cutting cruft and dead code, I think that such
a step would needlessly remove much of the Solaris compatibility
that Illumos has.  If I had voting rights in Illumos, I would give
lots of -1's to that idea.

Cheers -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim                     Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J. H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt