[illumos-Developer] review: nuke staleness from svr4pkg

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Fri Oct 15 08:49:19 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 14:25 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Albert Lee <trisk at opensolaris.org> wrote:
>
> > > Please do not start your private fork...
> > >

> > This can hardly described as "private".
>
> Changing code in private without prior discussing whether the goals
> are compatible with the interests of all people could be seen a a private fork.

By that measure, *all* development is a private fork.  And that's *not*
a bad thing.  Its how legacy Solaris was developed, or how people work
with git.  Every workspace is a fork.

Now, that said, a few other points:

a) I'm doing this as openly as I can. That's why I posted this code
review.

b) I'm not interested in a debate that satisfies "all people".  I know
that people have passionate feelings about packaging, and its
automatically impossible to make everyone happy.  I suspect that the IPS
fans will strongly resent me spending *any* time on svr4pkg, and will
probably like a lot less the plans I have for svr4pkg going forward.

c) I refuse to stymie progress while we bike shed on the mailing lists.

d) Ultimately, there are no pure veto powers.  The closest that comes to
it is developer-council and tech lead.  I *will* be presenting my plan
to developer-council.

e) If the end product that I'm reaching for isn't going to be deemed
acceptable for illumos, then I *will* fork. Because ultimately, I refuse
to be subject to the whims of Oracle's IPS developers.  And that's where
we are right now.  The sooner I can make it possible to build a distro
without touching IPS, the better.  (In fact, the last round of IPS
fiascos covered in bug 346 lost me another round of hours.  This was the
final straw, and why I decided that I had to personally get involved in
an effort to modernize svr4pkg and make it possible to build illumos
with SVR4 packaging.  I wish someone had already done more of the work.)

	- Garrett