[illumos-Developer] review: nuke staleness from svr4pkg

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Mon Oct 18 23:30:56 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 08:03 +0200, Roland Mainz wrote:

> > There were many reasons that patchadd and patchrm had to go.
>
> What exactly were the other reasons (except this issue and that the
> patch generation scripts were closed) ?

Being closed was part.  Being hideously complex, ridiculously
non-performant, almost impossible to properly generate compliant patches
for, and a major call generator had much much more to do with
elimination of patching.

In fact, this was also (mistakenly IMO) cited as a reason for developing
a new packaging system.

	- Garrett