[illumos-Developer] Terminfo handling of pg/home/etc keys

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Wed Oct 20 01:47:24 PDT 2010

Guido Berhoerster <guido+illumos.org at berhoerster.name> wrote:

> > > On my keyboard, output of this command after pressing Home and End keys
> > > is \EOF and \EOH
> >
> > I cannot speak for ksh93 and I don't know what this program does.....
> >
> > It seems however that ksh93 uses the terminal emulator in a different mode than
> > vi. Which mode the tty operates in depends on the init string that is part of
> > the temcap or terminfo descriptor. The tests however show that the keys
> > labelled "Home" and "End" by xev produce \EOH and \EOF in vi.
>
> That entirely depends wheter is uses the application cursor mode
> or not, in xterm you control it with the appcursorDefault X
> resource, you can also switch modes in the VT Options menu (by
> default opened through ctrl+middle click) where it is called
> "Enable Application Cursor Keys". Depending on whether it is
> enabled or not xterm either produces ANSI or application cursor
> mode escape sequences for all cursor keys. That is documented
> behavior of xterm, please see my earlier mail for a link to the
> corresponding xterm control sequences documentation.

a)	You may use a non-standard default for your xterm

b)	Even if you change the default state in a different way, if
	it has a conforming ANSI terminal emulation, then the second
	call to an editor will get the official behavior.

All I can say for now is that the vi (using the TERMINFO entry from Sun)
will see \EOH and \EOF

In addition, I can say that my editor (ved) that is TERMCAP based will also
see \EOH and \EOF even in case you use it together with the TERMINFO->TERMCAP
converted xterm entry from Anil.

Jörg