[illumos-Developer] Illumos issue 278: (eliminate python dependency from zfs command)

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 08:43:20 PDT 2010

Previously I wrote:
> After looking at lib/pyzfs, I have a suggestion:
> Write a C++ library of classes following the design of
> the classes provided in the python ZFS library code.
>
> I realize the "C++ is Evil!" bigots may jump on my case
> over this suggestion, but for this particular usage, I'd
> suggest this is a better approach than converting that
> code into a language with no classes or inheritance.

I looked a little more at that lib/pyzfs code and I see that
it does not really make interesting use of inheritance.
Given that, C++ probably does not buy you much.

However, I think the remainder of my suggestion still
has merit: try to follow the design of the pyzfs code.
If nothing else, that will make it easier to review the
changes, compare functionality, etc.

To be more specific, some sort of generic "property"
object would be nice, with variants (perhaps unions
discriminated by property type). Perhaps another
generic object for sets of users+groups, for the
"zfs allow" stuff (needs to AND/OR sets, etc.)

Thanks,
Gordon