[illumos-Developer] How to enumerate network interfaces?

Garrett D'Amore garrett at nexenta.com
Thu Oct 21 20:47:08 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 16:35 -0700, Sunay Tripathi wrote:
> On 10/21/10 02:11 PM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 12:04 -0700, Sunay Tripathi wrote:
> >> Walking the code is the best documentation there is :) libdladm.so
> >> is available in /lib and meant to be a public interface.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Sunay
> >>
> >> As an aside,libipadm and associated header files (libipadm.h)
> >> was also meant to be public at some point but I noticed the header file
> >> is not  being delivered. Garrett, can you deliver libipadm.h in
> >> one of the future builds?
> >
> > I don't see why not, if the interfaces are intended for public
> > consumption.  Or, you could set up a workspace to integrate it yourself.
> > The beauty of illumos is, anyone can gain integration privileges if
> > they're willing to do the work to integrate themselves. ;-)
>
> Gaining integration privileges. Wow. Really, do you think I can get
> privileges!!!! Then I would be able to blog that I have integration
> privileges on illumos.

*Of course* you can gain them.

Pretty much we have a standard procedure that very much mirrors the one
Sun used for OS/Net.  Nobody integrates without review, but once a
review is approved by an advocate, the contributor is given the
permission to integrate the change directly.  We never revoke the SSH
permission used for this (at least not under *normal* circumstances) so
once you're a developer you remain one, but we do insist that all
changes continue to be reviewed by one of the advocates (who will also
check that you've had a code review, etc.)

The big difference between illumos and ON is that we don't require
anyone to be an employee of Oracle or any other company to be a
contributor. :-)

	- Garrett