[illumos-Developer] webrev: 374 cron should send more useful mail

Joshua M. Clulow josh at sysmgr.org
Tue Oct 26 06:48:37 PDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Kyle McDonald <kmcdonald at egenera.com> wrote:
> While I hate to copy things from linux

Nothing wrong with implementing *good* ideas that come from other
platforms -- Linux, BSD, Windows, Mac or otherwise.

> MAILTO=admins at foo.bar.com
> this works for all  the jobs that follow it
> and can be listed more than once, it does allow different jobs to be
> mailed to diferent lists.

> Before I discovered this, I did what another user mentioned, and just
> made the script send the mail itself. Which works, but ends upwith a
> lot of repeated code - especially if you want logic to only send mail
> when there is output.

This is the problem I want to solve -- removing the need for wrappers
when performing basic customisation of cron mail.

I've just implemented MAILTO in my workspace and it appears to work
both as I would expect and as you've described.  I'll post another
webrev when I find out what Garrett wants me to do with gettext() and
so on.

--
Joshua M. Clulow
UNIX Admin/Developer