[illumos-Developer] clean up stale libplot and friends (lib300, etc.)

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 13:58:42 PDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Garrett D'Amore <garrett at nexenta.com> wrote:
> The list I have is:
>
>     libplot, lib300, lib300s, lib4014, lib450, libvt0
>
> I'm not aware of any others at the moment.

My instinct says ditch the lot.

Ultimately, if someone really needs them to keep some antiquated
stuff running they can either just run an older OS or grab copies of
the libraries they need which binary compatibility will ensure work.
Or grab the source (it'll still be out there) and built it.

As a thought, for something like this which is removed, is there any
sense in thinking about an "attic" of last build before removal, so
that the binaries are actually available? Really, for a lot of old
stuff that will never change and has no linkage to anything else,
constantly building new versions is what costs and is completely
unnecessary.

--
-Peter Tribble