[illumos-Developer] SchilliX-0.7.1 based on b147+ available

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Thu Sep 2 03:14:26 PDT 2010

Gary Mills <mills at cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 01:10:23PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > SchilliX-0.7.1 is based on the latest ONNV source published by Oracle.
> > This is build 146 with 16 additional putbacks.
> >
> > see:	ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/schillix
>
> I just tried booting this image on my Acer Aspire AspireAS3810T-6827
> laptop, in hopes that the IOMMU code in the kernel had been improved
> since OS 134.  Unfortunately, it seems to have the same problem.  The
> last few messages on the screen were:
>
>     ramdisk0 at root
>     ramdisk0 is /ramdisk
>     root on /ramdisk
>     acpinex0 at root
>     acpinex0 is /fw
>     acpinex: cpu at 1, cpudrv0
>     /fw/cpu at 1 (cpudrv0) online
>     pseudo-device: dld0
>     dld0 is /pseudo/dld at 0
>
> At that point it hung.  I had to hold down the power button to
> recover.  Windows 7 and Ubuntu run fine on this laptop.  Is there
> anything else I can do to diagnose the problem?

If this is the same hang you see with older ON versions, you should be able to
disable IOMMU support the same way by editing the grub boot command line.

BTW: The current goals for Illumos are not primarily to fix left over bugs
from Oracle but to replace closed source by OpenSource. Last night, we made a
big step towards working i18n support - something you did not get from
OpenSolaris as OpenSolaris does not deliver dynamic loadable locale data.

Jörg