[illumos-Developer] [osol-discuss] SchilliX-0.7.1 based on b147+ available

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Fri Sep 3 16:16:38 PDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 10:20:13AM +0200, Casper.Dik at sun.com wrote:

> >On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 01:10:23PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> >> SchilliX-0.7.1 is based on the latest ONNV source published by Oracle.
> >> This is build 146 with 16 additional putbacks.
> >>
> >> see:	ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/schillix
> >
> >I just tried booting this image on my Acer Aspire AspireAS3810T-6827
> >laptop, in hopes that the IOMMU code in the kernel had been improved
> >since OS 134.  Unfortunately, it seems to have the same problem.  The
> >last few messages on the screen were:
> >
> >    ramdisk0 at root
> >    ramdisk0 is /ramdisk
> >    root on /ramdisk
> >    acpinex0 at root
> >    acpinex0 is /fw
> >    acpinex: cpu at 1, cpudrv0
> >    /fw/cpu at 1 (cpudrv0) online
> >    pseudo-device: dld0
> >    dld0 is /pseudo/dld at 0
> >
> >At that point it hung.  I had to hold down the power button to
> >recover.  Windows 7 and Ubuntu run fine on this laptop.  Is there
> >anything else I can do to diagnose the problem?
>
> Boot in kmdb and try to find out where it hangs.  It didn't hang before?

I quickly discovered that SchilliX-0.7.1 adds the `-vk' option by
default.  So, it's already there.  Typing F1-a after it hung had no
effect.  Even when I booted with `-vkd', and then entered `:c' at the
kmdb prompt, it still hung at the same place.  I suppose I need to set
some earlier breakpoints, but I don't know what they should be.

By the way, I'm booting it from an external USB DVD drive.  This
laptop doesn't have an internal optical drive.  The USB driver
may be involved in the hang as well.

I have the same problem with OS 134 booting from USB a flash stick.