[illumos-Developer] Establishing requirements and test cases for tail replacement

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Mon Sep 6 09:35:12 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 13:59 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> > The Solaris tail(1) manpage specifies LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE as affecting its behavior.  I see no evidence that the FreeBSD code deals with this issue and I'm going to plead some level of ignorance here as a US developer who has never dealt with anything other than the default POSIX locale.
>
> If you cannot do full tests (including non-US locales), I would vote against an
> integration. Tail rewinds by a known byte offset and then e.g. needs to be able to
> synchronize again on multi byte characters.
>
> This is an essential feature that needs to be tested.
>
> BTW: Doing this correctly even on stateful locales could forbid to use lseek(2)
> at all.

A quick note:  We have an urgent need to replace some closed code.  Its
likely that there will be some regressions in functionality.  If you
want to help prevent these, then please get involved *constructively*.

Shooting down the tr bugs, or saying that someone cannot integrate a
replacement, is not helpful.  Instead, get involved to help qualify the
code ahead of time, or work on fixing it.

Please stop bitching about the bugs that crept into tr.  I needed a
working tr urgently, and I took the most expedient option.  The tr we
have, even busted as it is, is 100% more functional than the
non-functional closed tr that we had before.