[illumos-Developer] webrev: removal of closed kcfd

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Sun Sep 12 13:01:38 PDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-09-12 at 21:46 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> "Garrett D'Amore" <garrett at nexenta.com> wrote:

> > > Why did you remove fips?
> >
> > Because you can't have fips without module verification.  And you can't
> > have module verification without the closed code or reimplementing the
> > closed code.
> >
> > Furthermore, FIPS is *very* difficult to get right, and requires quite a
> > bit beyond just writing the code.  So there's no way we could continue
> > to have a FIPS solution without massive investment.
>
> fips-140 is part of openssl and I've seen that it has been certified. What is
> special with openssl?

I know far more about the particular problems of FIPS 140.  The
certification of openssl is limited and different in scope than what was
in KCF.  (They chose a much reduced cryptographic boundary, and a lower
level of certification.)  Doing the verification also requires expensive
audits, etc.  And you can't patch the code without having to resubmit
your changes for review.  Its not trivial.

> What do you understand by "module verification"? Are you talking about chking
> whether a signed library is unchanged?

Yes.

> If this code closed source on Solaris?

The verification code is, yes.