[illumos-Developer] [REVIEW] 244: Need replacement for closed /usr/bin/tail and /usr/xpg4/bin/tail

I. Szczesniak iszczesniak at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 08:21:59 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Garrett D'Amore <garrett at nexenta.com> wrote:
> Does the ksh93 tail work well?  I had heard that there were some
> situations where it was busted, but I've not researched it myself.

To my knowledge AST tail version in ON B146 has 2 known bugs:
- tail -0f will cat the whole file before following it. The tail.c in
Roland's prototype40 tree has this fixed.
- Suspending the tail builtin *within* ksh93 and resuming it causes
SIGTERM to be ignored. This is a bug in all 64bit versions of ksh93,
affecting all builtin commands which use poll() in combination with
custom signal handlers and not a bug in AST tail. Using tail via
/usr/bin/alias is not effected by this issue.

Irek