[illumos-Developer] How to become a developer

Mike Gerdts mgerdts at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 12:03:09 PST 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Michelle Knight <michelle at msknight.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I find myself in the position where I'm having to become a developer.
>
> I understand that this entails, for a start, learning C.
>
> My skill level is relatively low; a programmer in databases and the likes of
> PHP.
>
> If someone can give me pointers to getting started, I'd be grateful.

The shortest list of courses from the University of Wisconsin that
teaches the fundamentals for OS development are:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/course_list.html

1.  CS302 Introductory programming.  If you've been programming in PHP
for a while, you probably have a reasonable grasp of the concepts
taught here.
2.  CS367 Introduction to Data structures
3.  CS537 Introduction to Operating Systems

You can probably find lists of required text books, reading
assignments, lecture notes, lecture videos, and programming
assignments for these particular courses or similar courses from other
universities.  The old editions of the text books are probably
available quite inexpensively from your local university book store,
Amazon, etc.  If you are working the assignments, forget about the
language that the course is taught in (e.g. I expect that data
structures classes are taught in C++ or Java) and do the assignments
in C.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/