[illumos-Developer] Review --> iSCSI UNMAP support

Bill Sommerfeld sommerfeld at hamachi.org
Fri Feb 11 09:10:53 PST 2011

On 02/11/11 07:44, Sumit Gupta wrote:
> There is an expectation that unmapped space is available for other
> zpool clients. And thats not a narrow view :)

you need to allow for a creative interpretation of the specs when your
implementation includes features not contemplated by the standards; the
user is always better off when the features interact sensibly than when
two features are treated as incompatible and you get to choose to use
only one.

in this case there is a very clear way for the features to interact
sensibly: just allow unmap on all volumes, and the refreservation
feature will cause the right thing to happen in all cases.

when you free allocated blocks in a volume, whether or not the volume
has a refreservation, the actual blocks freed become available for reuse
by the same volume or a different volume.  the refreservation controls
the total number of blocks that can be used by other volumes but it
doesn't prevent the actual blocks freed from being reused.

also, consider the case where there is a refreservation, but it's
smaller than the volume size - it would be unreasonable to disallow
unmap on a sparse volume with a refreservation.

> If folks want to enable a certain feature because of its merit, you
> can always add an option to sbd. The implementer of the array (e.g.
> Nexenta) may choose the default (enable that option or not).

I don't see any value in a tunable that disables unmap for volumes with
a refreservation.

					- Bill