[illumos-Developer] RFE 604: Proposal to allow CIFS server to traverse mount points

Aram Hăvărneanu aram.h at mgk.ro
Sat Jan 15 04:38:04 PST 2011

> I'm not sure if it was covered and I'm just blind, but I would also like to
> see the ability to mount /tank/ to \\server\tank, but also /tank2/backups to
> \\server\tank\backups. So, not just child datasets, but other ones.

You can name CIFS shares:

# zfs sharesmb=name=cifs1 mypool/cifs1

But you can't nest them, CIFS doesn't work that way.  In order for
this to work you would need DFS.

What you can do in order to achieve the same final behavior on the
client side is mount tank2/backups to /tank/backups.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu