[illumos-Developer] Review for #429 iostat -E does not report serial number

Alexander Eremin alexander.r.eremin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 02:49:42 PST 2011

On Jan 26, 2011, at 1:24 PM, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> Albert Lee <trisk at opensolaris.org> wrote:
>
>> Approved to push, could you attach the mail_msg, etc. you gave me
>> here?
>
> BTW: does the kstat data really include usesful bits for a serial
> number in
> case of a non-Sun SCSI disk?
>
> IIRC, Sun labelled disks include the serial number at the end of the
> Inquiry
> product code which is definitely non standard.
>
> Is there an attempt to fill kstat from the SCSI standard location
> for serial
> numbes in a non-Sun disk case?
>
> Jörg
>
> --
> EMail:joerg at schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling
> D-13353 Berlin
>       js at cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)
>       joerg.schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/

Solaris uses 3 ways to obtain serial number, they described here:
http://wikis.sun.com/display/StorageDev/Solaris+OS+Disk+Driver+Device+Identifier+Generation

Standard scsi_inquiry procedure can't obtain serial number for non-Sun
disks,
sd driver gets it from page 80h and creates property  "inquiry-serial-
no".

Thanks,
Alexander